Tuesday, March 6, 2012

And on to Greece!

After spending a few days in Nuweiba on the Habiba Village Farm assessing the situation in Egypt we abandoned all plans of continuing to explore the country (the lack of operating public transportation was just going to make it too difficult and expensive) and bought a flight to Greece!We spent a few days in the beach town of Dahab, Egypt which we had visited earlier on this trip, and Nick was able to get some kiteboarding in. Unfortunately I was (and still am) too sick to my stomach from an intense bout of food poisoning I contracted on the Habiba Farm for very much motion or activity beyond walking, so I did a lot of sitting on the beach reading.
On March 5th we started making our way towards our flight in Tel-Aviv on the following morning. We took a shared minibus to the Egypt/Israel crossing at Taba/Eilat (our third time here.. we were pros) and from Eilat took a 5 hour bus to Tel-Aviv.  In Tel-Aviv we took a train to the airport, arriving around 11pm, and found a place to post out and get a little rest before checking in to our flight at 3am.
We arrived in Athens at 8am, tired but happy to have safely arrived.
We were met at the airport by the couchsurfing host we had arranged, and will be staying at his place for a few days.  It was so nice of him to pick us up!
We are staying in an 8x10 room with a mattress, a toilet, and a counter with a sink and cooking supplies.  It's very cozy and we have our own key to it, so we can come and go as we like.
Unfortunatley I am still feeling quite sick to my stomach, but Nick is out enjoying a beer with our host, Kostas, as I type and I am hoping that maybe tomorrow I will be all better and can enjoy our new location!

Now, I must note that we have had very limited internet access for the last few weeks, hence the gap in blog posts. I intend to write a little and put up some pictures regarding our time in Jordan since it was really quite wonderful and deserves to be shared.  Keep an eye out!

2 comments:

  1. Aww feel better, Marli! Hope you enjoy Greece. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacqui! I woke up feeling much better today so maybe I conquered the poison :)

    ReplyDelete